Nimbus Disability, The company behind the Access Card, is opening a place on its board of directors to allow representation from a member of the Access Card scheme. The board currently already has a number of disabled people with Access Cards on the board but we are looking for someone to represent the views of the member base as we continue to grow and develop this amazing scheme.
Nimbus is a company limited by guarantee and a social enterprise which, alongside the Access Card offers paid-for consultancy services to businesses enabling them to improve the services and employment opportunities for disabled people. As a social enterprise; Nimbus does trade to make a profit but 100% of profits are either reinvested in our services for disabled people or donated to our sister charity, Disability Direct, which supports disabled people directly.
Martin Austin MBE founded Nimbus in 2006;
“I think user involvement is key to all things disability and have long held the mantra ‘Nothing about without us‘ in high regard, which is why we have always been a majority disabled person organisation. Whilst a number of our board members are Access Card holders, we thought the time was right to invite someone fresh to the organisation but involved in the scheme from a purely customer-based perspective.
“I also feel that the time is right to create a more structured user involvement panel to capture an even wider voice and it makes sense that this is channelled through this new board position.
“We have an amazing, rich, diverse and engaged card membership base and it excites me to think that this can be harnessed to improve and grow the scheme.”
You will be joining a professional and committed board of which the majority are disabled people, and work closely with our dedicated and enthusiastic staff.
Please note; this is not a user involvement group and we are asking that you only show interest if you have evidenced experience of working in senior management or a governing body role.
That said, we do expect that a part of this role will be to help the staff team create and facilitate a more structured user involvement panel in the future to build on the success of our Facebook Group.
Steve Rigby has been the Chair of Nimbus Disability for the past 8 years;
“The invitation for an ‘Access Card’ user involvement on the board, is I feel another big step forward for us, and one I’m happy to endorse. If you feel you have a voice and a desire, as we all involved with the ‘Access Card’ have, to see the project go from strength to strength, then please do consider joining the board.”
- Has experience of working at senior management or Board level; or
- Is able to effectively communicate the needs of disabled people from direct lived experience
- Is committed to increasing accessibility and inclusion for disabled people
- Is an excellent communicator at senior levels
- Can think strategically and have a vision
- Can criticise constructively and present alternative thinking and solutions
- Is able to identify and manage potential conflicts of interests
Although the following are not essential to fulfilling a role on the board, we would be particularly welcome to submissions of interest from individuals who meet any of the following criteria:
- Is able to present the views of underrepresented and minority groups
- We are keen to increase the existing diversity of our board and will particularly welcome applications from women and those with a BAME background
- Existing working knowledge of the social enterprise movement*
- An existing understanding of the Social Model of Disability**
- An existing understanding of the Equality Act***
- Experience of working in a senior role in one of the following industries:
- Arts and Culture
- Travel and Tourism
- International Trade
- Health and Social Care
If you feel you meet these criteria, please email email@example.com a brief overview of how you meet the criteria and what drew you to the post and we will send you a more detailed information pack about the organisation and the role.
After that, if you’re shortlisted, you’ll be asked to provide a bit more detail so please don’t feel like you need to go into a lot of detail in your initial email.
*Training will be provided for all new Directors
**Training will be provided for all new Directors
***Training will be provided for all new Directors